Wednesday, 9 December 2009

Royal recipes

Whilst in Gothenburg I stumbled upon this cookbook, The princesses cookbook from 1936! I´ve never been particularly interested in royalty, but thought this a fun slightly odd book...you see, I always thought princesses never had to cook;)

Hmmm, come to think of it, it´s not entirely true that I haven´t been interested in royalty. I saw a fantastic tv-series about the grand duchesses (the daughters) of Nicholas II of Russia, Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia. The series consisted of the family´s private films (Ah! Some of them handtinted) and letters they had written to each other. According to the letters, the daughters were witty and had sharp tongues. I especially fell for Olga´s witty comments. I loved the handtinted material. They all wore white fluffy dresses, large hats covered in flowers, they had tinted the flowers in their hats.
I was intrigued by the letters and my curiosity made me look for material to read. But all I found was fairly boring material. I know the history and the extremely tragic outcome for the tsar family. But I wasn´t looking for cold facts. I think I would like to read the letters in bookform.
Here is a picture of the pretty daughters.



This is a formal portrait of (from left to right): Grand Duchesses Olga, Tatiana, Maria, and Anastasia Nikolaevna, 1906.

Need to dash again.
X

No comments: