Tuesday, 17 August 2010

Mantelpiece



The mantelpieces I grew to love whilst living in London cannot be found in finnish architecture. There´s seldom fireplaces in finnish apartments. If there is a fireplace, it is usually a cast iron or tiled stove. So there is no mantelpiece.
I´ve created my own mantelpiece. I have a large chest of drawers, and I´ve placed it in the middle of the wall, added a mantelpiece-mirror (french!) and lots and lots of stuff. Once again, showing you how much one can sqeeeze on to a "fake" mantelpiece. Did I say mantelpiece?
Though I would love to have a fire, I´m not going to burn the chest of drawers;) I just have to live with the fact I cannot have all.


Last night I felt chilly for the first time this summer. I even got up in the middle of the night to look for a pyjamas...

8 comments:

www.kunsthafen.blogspot.com said...

Hi Nina,

I really like your blog! You had so many little nice things, it´s amazing....
You sayed, you like my painting with the Titel "Spiegelung II." (Reflections)...Maybe contact me, if you mind...
ZoltanGal@gmx.de

P.K said...

What a lovely arrangement. I have a mantle, though the fireplace cannot be used. You have inspired me to rearrange things. Your blog is a beautiful place to visit.

Jenni said...

Definitely a good fake mantelpiece. Mikä se muuten edes on suomeksi. Takanreunus?? -tylsää :D. Love the butterflies!

Satu said...

Hei! Kiitos käynnistäsi blogissani, ilahdutti minua suuresti! Ja löysinpä sitten tänne sen myötä, ihastuttavaa! Näkemisiin! :)

Harmoni og Kontrast said...

Kjære Nina. Ville bare takke for dine søte kommentarer hos meg og beklage at jeg ikke alltid rekker å svare... Men jeg elsker å komme til din blogg og dette innlegget var vakkert!! Deilig kveld til deg fra meg...

Nina said...

Thank you sooooo very much for your kind comments.

Jenni, en muuten tiedä että mikä mantepiece on suomeksi, olkoon se takanreunus kunnes paremopi sana ilmestyy kuvioihin;)

Firefly said...

So pretty! I love the way you've placed the butterflies!

Tracy said...

Hello, Nina! I found my way here via P.K. who writes at Dilly & Parsley. I love the idea of a changing mantlescape--changing the look with the seasons maybe. We have a small working fireplace here in Norway, but there is no mantlepiece. I'm originally from the USA, where mantles are to be found, and I miss those. Like you I have a make-shift mantle in my studio where I keep cards & letters and other bits I love. It is like an altar. You have a lovely blog here. :o)