Saturday, 30 July 2011

Nostalgia



I received an invitation to an exhebition opening in the post. The artist is someone I used to date. The invitation took me way back in time, to the late 80's my dears. We didn´t date for long, but long enough to leave retainable memories. I still remember how I liked his smell. He lived in a cottage and he always smelled of wood or perhaps the forest. He spoke with a beautiful dialect, he was from Joensuu and I can recall the way he laughed. I used to be a bit of a clown when I was younger and I made him laugh, well, not sure if I was all that funny, he might also have been just kind;)
He has made a name for himself as an artist. I´m very happy for him.
I´m not going to the opening. I wouldn´t know what to say. But I will see the exhebition. There was no drama involved in us breaking up, I believe it was more a coincident. We were supposed to meet in a certain place at a certain time, but I couldn´t make it. And there was no way I managed to let him know, he didn't have a phone in his cottage. I did leave a message at the place were we were supposed to meet, but I doubt he ever received it. So eventually when we met, we were quite distant and far too clumsy somehow to find a way back. And very young.
I do take responsability for what happened. You see, what we used to do was, when we met we decided on our next meeting. But we never had a plan B in case one of us couldn´t make it!
He did something very special for me once, he had a glass porch and one winternight, when he came to meet me at the bus-stop and we had walked through the woods and when we were approaching his cottage I could see it glow in the dark. He had lit the porch with lots and lots of candles. For me. I never forget that glowing cottage.

Nostalgia. On a saturday.

5 comments:

akissfromthepast said...

nostalgia is wonderful, little bit sad feeling also as good one in same time. I felt so nostalgic when i found today my great-grandmother´s plate! there it was in the middle of the flea market waiting for me.. it was second time in 15 years when i found the same plate that my great-grandmother used to have :) nice piece for my collection =) now i have 3 plates :)
have a great day !

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Nina:
What a bittersweet post this is. Perhaps that is so for all nostagic memories as some are happy and others sad.

Although we can understand your reluctance to attend the opening, we feel that it would be such a wonderful event and would be reluctant, ourselves, to miss it. You were both very young when you parted ways and, with the maturity of the passing years, we are sure that you would find the right words to meet the occasion.

Whatever, it is always good to hear of someone enjoying success with their work as an artist as it is such a difficult thing to do.

Andrea~CrowNology~ said...

...what a lovely story...

How did you happen to be invited?

xo

Nina said...

Oh, I receive occasional invitations to openings as I have friends working for galleries.
Well, one never knows, maybe I´ll change my mind and decide to go after all...

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Nina, this is a beautiful, poignant story, and I am glad that you have written it for the memories of that time. Perhaps you should go to the opening. You are both much more mature now.

Bises,
Genie