Sunday, 28 September 2014

Treasures and dredging

Yesterday we (L and me) took a stroll through a local fleamarket. And boy did we find some treasures! L found a great painting for 2 euros! I found the Helsinki Cathedral photograph for one euro. I'm still a Helsinki-gal deep down in my heart, though I love living in this small town. I also found some enamel hooks, the sort I collect. Suits an old house like mine very well.


But above all this, I found an old woolen rug, it's huuuuuge, 2,3m x 3,4m. For free. It was dumped at the fleamarket and as it has two small cuts, so no one wanted it. It took up space, so they decided to give it for free. Still, nobody wanted it. Then I came along and, well, the rest is history, hih! I have repaired cuts and holes in rugs before, so I think these cuts will be fairly simple and it is easily mendable. I also checked that the costs to have it cleaned at the local cleaner is about 10 euros /m2. I shall have a beautiful rug in my living room. But it is also something I need. Woolen rugs are essential in old houses, with drafty floors. I am also happy to be able to give it a new life.We looked funny cykling home from our treasure-hunt. The painting and the huge rug fitted on L's bike, and me, well, I strolled along without any luggage as my other treasures fitted in my basket.

I ordered a pair of handknitted knee-socks today. Found this knitting lady on fb who takes orders. I loved her patterns and as I knit myself, I sometimes like to wear stuff that others have made. Odd perhaps. She immediately started. Even sent me a pic for proof. I do love that sort of passion for handicrafts. I believe this shall not be the last pair I order from her. I prefer knitted socks in the winter.

Have a great sunday folks! I shall go wash the boat today, as we had to take up the boat yesterday, they are dredging the shores and all boats must be taken up.


2 comments:

Cheri said...

Hienoja löytöjä, voin kuvitella teidät polkemassa kotiin aarteinenne :) Sortteerasin tänään lehtipinoja kierrätykseen ja äkkiä näin hauskat kuvat iloisesta naisesta talon edessä. Yllättävää, että tapasin sinut lehden sivuilla. Ihana talo ja kivat kuvat. Mukavaa sunnuntaiehtoota!

akissfromthepast said...

Lovely findings from lovely people!
Cherikin kuvailee niin osuvasti pyöräretkeä:) ihanaa. ja pitääpä katsastaa tuo lehti jostain :)