Friday, 24 July 2015

An afternoon with Elvis





This afternoon I cykled to my friend E.

Their Volkswagen Beetle was parked in the driveway. Two vintage bikes leaned onto the garage wall. A line of washed sheets danced in the wind.
In the kitchen E and her four year old daughter were doing the dishes.  I sat on the floor and the little one asked me all sorts of lovely questions. Will you stay for the night? Well that is a nice idea, but I had not planned to stay so long this time. Why are you wearing a flowerdress? This morning when I chose what to wear, I spotted this dress and I haven't worn it in a very long time, so I decided to wear it today, and if I feel it isn't what I prefer to wear, then I can give it to charity and maybe somebody else will have more use of it than me. Why are you wearing red nailpolish? I do have a few other colours too, but I seem to prefer the red ones. My mummy also has red. And she has black too. Why do you wear pins in your hair? I am trying to let my fringe grow out. And to prevent myself from looking like a poor imitation of Elvis Presley, I use pins. Who is El..Pr...? He was a singer. He sang lovely songs and shook his hip and made people go crazy!
It started to rain outside. E's husband carried the sheets indoors and the scent of fresh laundry spread in the rooms. We listened to Elvis and tried to imagine him shaking his hip. We didn't go all crazy. We drank many cups of espresso, ate biscottinis and I sat with the little one in my lap and felt life is sooooo gooood. Friends.

I cykled home with a vintage bottle of Sorbus, a cheap wine made of rowanberries. It is no longer in production due to poor sales. E and her husband found lots of these vintage bottles when they renovated their garage. And now one of them is in my home. I love the etiquette.

And here is Elvis singing.

Very happy to read about a book-collaboration of father and daughter Juslin. Our dear, dear friends Beni and Emma. Read the article (in swedish) here.


No comments: