Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Amedeo Modigliani and romantic wabble

I've loved Amedeo Modigliani since, well, it seems like forever. I think I can recall one of the first paintings that I fell for, but my love for his art, has never faded.
I even felt a heartbeat when I saw a small painting of his in a small museum in London.
Well, today I read it in the newspaper. The Ateneum artmuseum in Helsinki is going to host a large exhibition of Amedeo Modigliani next autumn. I am so excited! I shall spend a day, no many days at the museum. It is a wonderful museum, if you ever visit Helsinki, I warmly recommend to pay a visit.

The next exhibition is for the work of Auguste Rodin.  When I lived in Paris for a while in my youth, I used to frequently visit the Rodin museum, and its' fantastic garden. At the time, the garden was more like a small park with a small garden café. Apparently it has been under renovation, I hope they have saved the garden, because it was sort of an oasis in the huuuuge city. I believe I can still find my way there, even though I haven't been there for so many years. The adress is 77 rue de Varennes.
I know the city has changed, I no longer speak the language, well, I can follow a very slow french film, but to engage myself in a conversation, well, it would probably feel like climbing the mount Everest. I was once very happy there, but I have also been so completely heartbroken that I swore I should never return. Well, my heart has healed long long long ago and I shall take my darling L to visit the city of love, one day.
Of course, I have changed. I am as romantic as ever, and hence I am going to end with the words of Ernest Hemingway, in his book, a Moveable feast, a romantic novel of the years he lived in Paris. I recall they often ate. Anyhow, it is years since I read the novel, but the conclusion has stayed with me ever since; "This is how Paris was in the early days when we were very poor and very happy."


Here is a small vintage postcard of one of Amedeo Modigliani's halfnude ladies. I have it framed. This picture is from the beloved shoebox, some years ago.




No comments: