Monday, 19 September 2016

The week of ailments

Or as we say in swedish, krämpor!
I had one of those weeks that one can laugh about once the week is over and out! It is now.
Still, it didn't get me down. I can honestly say we had a wonderful week despite following:
Last saturday, a week ago. I attended an event as avec with my darling. We had a few drinks and then as many of the other guests decided to have a drink in a restaurant nearby, we decided to join. Well, as soon as I entered, one of the guests fell right on top of my foot, causing a broken little toe. There's nothing one can do, it passes eventually. But at the moment I cannot wear shoes, I am doomed to wear only sandals and trainers. Looks fab with socks! Otherwise I can live normally, I get loads of superwoman-points at my danceclass, hih!

We started building a little shed for wood. It is fun, it turned out just the way I had planned. It is only missing its' bitumen roof. Painted and ready for wood! And again, built according to an excisting door. I found the door in the garden, under a lot of rubbish. I cleaned and dried it and it is just perfect. It has rusty hinges, and I managed to find rusty screws for attaching it to the shed.
 I'll show you a picture of the shed once the roof is ready, we are building it this week. I offer a pic of the wreath I made on saturday.

I also managed to catch a tough flu on wednesday, causing me to stay at home on thursday as I had fever when I woke up. We had to skip badminton, which is a real pity as it is one of the highlights of the week.  I drank plenty of tea with fresh ginger, lemon and honey. On friday I was all fine again and was able to go to work. I only had a few lessons in the morning, so met up my friends Oona and Jarna at our favorite café, Tuhannen tuskan kahvila. We sat for a few hours in the garden in the sun and chatted away, sometimes we just listened to the snoring dog, Vappu, and watched a tiny little mouse skip and hop across the garden.

L and me continued work on the shed in the afternoon and it was ready to be painted in the evening.
On saturday my dear friends Jarna and Oona came by and handed a basket filled with fungus, kanttarel and trattkanttarell. In the evening I made a creamy sauce with fungus and onion, cooked salmon in the oven with only butter. A glass of red and voilá, we had a fab delicious dinner! We had so much fungus I baked a pie the next day. We had a guest for lunch on sunday, he is from Afghanistan, and it was the first time he ate fungus. What a brave young man. To try new dishes and tastes. I did tell him I would not feel offened if he decided not to finish his pie. We find fungus delicious, but for someone who is not familiar with fungus, well, not to everyone's taste so to speak.
Kiitos ihanat sienistä! 

On saturday, while my neighbours Nina and Peik came to visit with their friend Kjell (who was in town to lecture about the Panama paper leak), I suddenly felt I had something in my eye. After a few hours my eye was all red and the following morning I looked like I had had a fight with worldchampion boxer Eva Wahlström! Oh my! With plenty of chamomille-tea that I cleaned my eye with (yes, it is the perfect natural medicament for anything infected), I managed to look fairly respectable later the same day when I attened my danceclass and in the evening when me and L went to the movies. We were invited to see a finnish film called Teit Meistä Kauniin, a film about the start of a finnish punkband called Apulanta in the beginning of the 90´s. What made this evening a little special was that the movie was not supposed to air at our local theatre, but we have a wonderful filmtheatre entrepreneur, he will show films upon request if there is a minimum of 20 (or 15?) tickets sold. Well, last night the theatre was full! There was a red carpet, oh yes, all guests were photographed and some even interviewd (me included) and the filmmakers opened the film! Before there was a local band that played covers of Apulanta. I love these sort of fun events, and as frequent moviegoers, we emmediately decieed to attend. 

When I came home after the film I fell asleep and thought, ah bless, the week was filled with ailments and plenty of wonderful. 
So, if anyone had the impression my life is filled with only fairy shimmering and glitter, I can tell you, weeks like these make sure you feel blessed and at the same time stay grounded. I managed to get hold of my doctor by phone this morning, and within a few minutes, I had a prescription for eyedrops at the pharmacy. Now I shall conquer my first time ever eye-infection!

Here is my consolationsong. Break your heart by Natalie Merchant.

Stay blessed, love and love even more.

Of course the vintage door to the little shed for wood needed a sign and a wreath. 




No comments: